Ben Mertens ‘confident with nothing to worry about’ ahead of crunch World Championship qualifiers | R7N2E2D | 2024-04-12 16:08:01

New Photo - Ben Mertens 'confident with nothing to worry about' ahead of crunch World Championship qualifiers | R7N2E2D | 2024-04-12 16:08:01
Ben Mertens 'confident with nothing to worry about' ahead of crunch World Championship qualifiers | R7N2E2D | 2024-04-12 16:08:01

Ben Mertens is likely one of the greatest teenage skills in the recreation (Picture: Facebook/Ben Mertens Snooker)

Ben Mertens is enjoying for his professional standing at World Championship qualifying, however the teenager is considering constructive, saying: 'I'm confident, I'm enjoying nicely, so nothing to fret about.'

The 19-year-old gained his place on the World Snooker Tour in 2022 and has had some good results, but goes to Sheffield needing to win matches to retain his tour card as he is outdoors of the world's prime 64 and off the tempo on the one-year rating listing.

The Belgian clearly has the expertise to do it, with wins over the likes of Shaun Murphy and Gary Wilson this season and he might be dangerous in qualifying, the place he performs Rod Lawler in his first match on Friday.

'I know what state of affairs I'm in, I've to win a couple of games to stay on tour,' Mertens informed Metro. 'So it's nerves but in addition exciting because it's the World Championship and a chance to qualify for the Crucible.

'In fact I've to consider the great issues and not what might go incorrect.

'Qualifying for the Crucible, that's the one thing to consider, not all the remaining. I did nicely last yr in qualifying, I'm assured, I'm enjoying properly, so nothing to fret about.'

The teenager from Wetteren feels robust attracts, robust performances from his opponents and effective margins have all value him, but he isn't down about any of it, anticipating issues to turn round.

Mertens needs wins in World Championship qualifying to remain knowledgeable (Picture: Getty Pictures)

'Lots of matches I've performed have been actually close, might have gone both methods and gamers have performed rather well towards me the previous few tournaments,' he stated. 'I can't really complain an excessive amount of about myself because I'm enjoying nicely.

'It's what it is. It's good to have robust draws. I'll be a stronger participant due to it in the future. I don't fear an excessive amount of.

'I know if I'm enjoying properly I can beat anyone, so I just have to belief in myself, that's the only thing that matters.'

Mertens would love to stay on the tour in fashion by qualifying for the Crucible for the first time, then he can be dreaming of replicating his compatriot Luca Brecel's achievement of last yr.

The teenager has by no means been to the legendary venue before, refusing to go in to observe earlier than enjoying there.

'The Crucible, that's the place to be in snooker, that's my dream to play there someday. I saw what Luca did there, that provides me inspiration,' he stated.

Luca Brecel turned the primary Belgian winner of the World Snooker Championship (Picture: Getty Photographs)

'We've talked a number of occasions up to now. He's a really nice man and I need to attempt to do the identical as him sooner or later, to be at the Crucible and play properly there, that's what I would like.

'I gained't go there before I do this, if I'm going to the Crucible it is going to be to play, not watch.'

On the impression of Brecel's sensational World Championship win back in Belgium, Mertens stated: 'It's more widespread now, clubs are absolutely booked now, there's more attention, which is simply excellent news. I might like to see a event right here.'

The teenager has had a troublesome state of affairs to cope with over his younger profession thus far, developing a tremor in his head, which he has learned to control but not entirely.

'It's nonetheless there,' he stated. 'I had some checks they usually stated the whole lot is regular. Prior to now it was a mental concern, now it's getting better, I'm not desirous about it mentally anymore.

'It isn't affecting my recreation, however it was affecting my psychological aspect of the sport. I used to be all the time fascinated with it, that folks would see it, however I'm not worrying about it anymore. It is what it's.

'It was a surprise, I never had it before, so it was something I had to get used to, getting a tremor out of nowhere. Nevertheless it's getting higher now. If I get nervous you will notice it extra, but if I'm calm it's okay. I simply should attempt to keep calm throughout games, attempt not to get too much strain and then it doesn't have an effect on me.'

Mertens takes on Lawler over Friday and Saturday in his first round of World Championship qualifying.

MORE : World Snooker Championship schedule revealed as Ronnie O'Sullivan et al learn their fate

MORE : World Snooker Championship qualifiers: More 'horrible matches' to emerge than ever

For more tales like this, check our sport page.

Comply with Metro Sport for the newest news on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

#ben #mertens #confident #nothing #worry #ahead #crunch #world #championship #qualifiers #US #UK #NZ #PH #NY #LNDN #Manila #Sport

More >> https://ift.tt/GRi6nlZ Source: MAG NEWS

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.